09-05-2010, 09:09 AM   #21
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
teagueAMX, E89Tardis & HerrK

Thank you all again for your excellent feedback!

The additional information provided by you all got me thinking that the runout check in the vertical boring mill is properly not a good idea (unless I set it up in the same way as BMW, wheel repair shops or tire shops do). BMW may reject my report if the check is not done in the same way they do there’s.

So Tuesday I will go to my dealership (while I check the manufacturing date of the passenger wheel that has the 2 hairline cracks) and find out how they do the runout check also see if I can get a copy of the report from the wheel with the open crack that was not warranted.

After reading thru the repair and tire mounting procedures I reflected back to the tire shop in Idaho USA (not naming the town at this point). The boys were quite rough removing my tire from the wheel with the crack. In fact they ended up making gauge marks in two places with the tire machine and or method of removal on the inside of the inner rim (see photos 1 and 2 below).

Photo 1 of 2

Photo 2 of 2

The heavy markings may very well have caused the out of round condition that was measured here in the BMW shop in my home town.

Combined with your feedback and the excellent post made by E89Tardis my thinking has somehow changed as follows;

A) If the BMW Idaho shop sub-contracts his tire mounting work to a tire shop that mishandles the tire removal why should I as a customer be blamed as having gone thru potholes or the like having bend a wheel. The excessive force as used by the tire shop was most likely enough to bend the wheel (exceeding the 0.300 mm [0.012”] BMW tolerance for roundness) leaving marks like shown in the above photos.

B) Why would this BMW dealership not invest in equipment and manpower to handle such delicate tasks as removing and mounting tires on these so soft and delicate alloy wheels (did I mention expensive I paid $606- US in Canada I am told the wheel is $900- CDN).

C) I am almost convinced that I will find the wheel now at BMW (with 2 hairline cracks) having the same manufacturing date as the one with the crack I have here at home.

Based on A, B and C above I will forgo the roundness checks of my cracked wheel at this time since it is very likely just useless information since the damage may very well has been inflicted in the tire shop by removing the tire in the first place.

I will write to BMW first arguing points A to C before I will take further steps. What do you think fellow? Or am I not thinking clearly here?

Thanks as always for your input.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 09-05-2010 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0