cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
AWESOMMMMME!!! I'm loving the M Sport styling and sport seats and I'm also very happy I have a manual transmission now. It is one smooth shifting car. Melbourne Red is a great color. Took off the RFT's at delivery and am running 18" Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I'm in the middle of making some modifications so as soon as I'm done, I'll post pix, probably in a week or so. Thanks for asking!
Second that. I have a 35i with MT and Michelin Pilot Super Sports on 18" 294 wheels? In fact I just had them remounted today after the winter and couldn't resist joyriding all afternoon!

What kind of mods are you looking at?

RE your initial question, my break-in routine consisted of high-torque, low-RPM runs the first few days. Like climbing a hill in high gear. The high cylinder pressure helps seat the rings. Using engine compression breaking also helps.
Keep the RPMs reasonable for the first 600 miles (stay under 4,500 which isn't such a burden with all that low-end torque) then gradually allow higher RPMs after that.
Then change the oil at 1,500 miles. My BMW service advisor thought that was a good idea too.

The rest is just common sense, like allowing your engine and MT to warm up before doing any spirited driving.

Last edited by cdeslandes; 04-19-2012 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 0