View Single Post
      04-16-2013, 12:37 AM   #5
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Dipped my wheels to get an idea of what black would look like before dishing out money to actually get black wheels...

Yes, it is reversible. No damage to wheels that I have experienced (have read people say it damages clear coat, but these are a few isolated cases) and I've had it on another car for about half a year, no problem. YMMV

However, I would only really plasti-dip the wheels just to get an idea of what black wheels would look like and nothing more. Why?

Even if you have the most skilled spray artist do it for you, it will come out textured. Not bubbles, but it will have a bumpy feel to it, kind of like the bumps on the black-side of your roll bar, except less extreme. It's the nature of the product. While from a distance or by the untrained eye, it will look powdercoated if done correctly, but this is a $50,000+ car we are talking about... plasti-dip long term?

However, with that said, I definitely do think it is an excellent product. It can protect the wheels (maybe a good winter set-up to protect from rocks and remove during the summer?) and a good rinse with the power-washer and it looks clean. However, again, if anyone more knowledgable on cars than your average-joe comes up and admires your wheels, they will be able to easily tell it was plasti-dipped (that or a very very poor paint job). So, it definitely has its +/-s. I would say, spend $25 to buy 4-5 cans, spray it yourself to see if you like the color scheme. If you do, after a few weeks, remove it and get yourself some actual black rims. And the greatest part is, it is removable AND very amateur friendly. You can overspray, underspray, have it drip and leak, and it will look like it was done by a pro... using plasti-dip.
Appreciate 0