View Single Post
      09-06-2015, 11:26 PM   #56
direwolfM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
I find this hilarious, since it has slapped me in the face here so many times.

When we moved here the hotel we lived in had a staff of Mexicans mainly. It was horrible to watch how the guests threated the staff and I could from the first week list a lot of shit I saw.

On my last road trip I went to wash my car to a bad neighborhood (according to the valet at the hotel) and I was talking to the local kids while doing it, when the cops showed up and told them to fuck off. They told me to go away so I could be safe, but nobody checked my or the cars papers. It was a black part of town.

Europe as mentioned is not better in many ways, as is no other, but we talk about our issues. Here I'm like some fucking princess while a guy who is never even rude to anyone gets threated like shit for parking correctly.

It's not my intention to make this Europe vs America thread, it's me pointing out (mainly to myself) that if I keep on cashing the white chick privileges, aren't I also to blame for this problem?
I don't think you are part of the problem. Its a huge step to be able to acknowledge that privilege to a certain demographic exists. This topic really hits home for me on multiple levels. And I know people get all nutso when they hear the term "white privilege", but it exists. And I think the bigger problem in this country is that some people refuse to acknowledge it and others have no idea what it even is.

Here's an example of what i mean by white privilege. I grew up in a very blue collar, racially diverse neighborhood. However, it was a very safe neighborhood. No crime, left our doors unlocked, and never could even dream of anybody getting shot in the neighborhood...that sort of thing. We had a police force (all white as far we could tell) that patroled the area but never really engage with the community. When I was 12, me and some friends were playing with some toy guns, like most kids do. The next thing I know, three police cars come along at high speed, they jump out of their car and assume full attack position with guns drawn and using the doors as protection. Simultaneously, they are yelling at us things like "freeze motherf'er". Now remember we are a bunch of 12 year olds. Anyways, they line us up and search us while one cop has his gun drawn and aimed at us the entire time. Eventually, they realize we're just being kids playing with toys.

Now, I ask you. Would this happen in a "white neighborhood"? This is what white privilege looks like.

Last edited by direwolfM3; 09-06-2015 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 0