01-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post
I don't think so. It's very similar but not the exactly same. For one, the DCT in the Z4 won't hold a redline even if you are in manual mode. It will just upshift.
Right, and that is just software. The M cars also come with more options for gear shifting speeds and perhaps launch control rpm. It simply means that we cannot abuse our Getrag DCT boxes (an engines) in the same way that M car, or for that matter, Farrari owners can. It doesn't mean that the hardware cannot be asked to do it...

Before I bought this car I thought I would miss these features. And I still think its like having installed 10GB of RAM in a PC, but then the OS can only figure out how to access 2 of them. But that was also when I thought I would be spending most of my time on a track drifting around...

Now I know the only option I am missing is to be able to select a slower shifting speed while in Manual mode. I would have liked to be able to shift manually and at the same time be the most gentle to the clutches.

If you are the type of person who thinks not being able to head-bang the red-line is a big deal, don't get an E89, not even a manual one... get something which is cheaper to repair and maintain.
Appreciate 0