View Single Post
      08-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #12
STLMCO
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 Blk/Blk

Just replaced the standard 6 speaker system myself (after numerous complaints to both my dealer and BMWNA). Did not change the head unit (Professional Radio, no Nav). Installed JL Audio HD 600/4 amp in the trunk where the factory amp would go. Great amp that takes speaker level inputs. Replaced the woofers and mids in front with Hertz Hi Energy 163.3 three way components (including tweeters). Rear speakers will be replaced with Hertz Energy EM100 mids, but they aren't in yet. Ran new wire to all speakers, Had all the rear interior trim removed at one point... boy did that make me nervous, but everything went back together just fine. UNBELIEVABLE change. A lot of money for high end components, but what a difference. Because the rears aren't in yet there is no fill, but that is only going to be icing on the cake. Thought about doing subs, but decided to wait and see if I need them (don't need a system that rattles windows). Also, if I wait I suspect someone will develop a slick drop in solution for subs.

Not being able to the hear stereo while driving with the top down was really taking away from me being able to enjoy my new Z4. What was particularly aggravating was that the stock radio in my 2003 Z4 was so much better. Now my new car is everything I was hoping for.
Appreciate 0