08-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #57
twin turbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPIpower View Post
That thread has been brought up several times and its really a joke. We have tested these things over and over again and its the same results. It seems that you want to believe it gains power just for peace of mind so thats your right.

100% correct. The other reason for this is that casting a custom plastic molded box is much more expensive than throwing on a few heatshields and dumping a filter on there. Drag cars cant run over and over and over again so the argument holds no ground in this discussion. Ive mention time and time again that I will dyno anyones Z4 that has that intake for FREE. My only request is to have the session recorded so there is no cheating.

When we had our dynojet back in the day, we tested a lot of products like these for companies that rented dyno time. The ways they wanted us to test and do the dyno sessions (in order for there to be a power gain) is purely comical.
The main reason I installed the intake was for the sound and improved throttle response. It's nice to actually here the turbos on a turbo charged car. Maybe I'm losing a couple of HP after the engine gets nice and hot, but it is worth it to me. Please recommend another intake that makes power, I am interested.

There is another dyno in that thread where they remove the air box cover and the car made an additional 20 rear wheel hp and it wasn't Terry. It was the guy that was contradicting Terry. That sounds like there is air restriction in the factory air box to me. I don't think bypassing the air filter would net 20 wheel hp. Maybe THIS car is different, but the last few cars I owned all made more power with aftermarket intakes. My GT500 made 40 more hp with a Steeda hot air intake. Funny that Ford would make and install a hot air intake (air coming from the engine bay) in the KR and several magazines dyno tested it and made 40hp more. My 2005 Corvette also made more power with a hot air intake. My APR chipped Audi TT also made more power with a hot air intake. My tuning experience has taught me that the factory air box is designed to handle factory power levels. When you add more boost and fuel like the JB+, you need more air. Most of the time the factory air boxes cannot provide the additional air necessary. I have not dynoed this car yet. As I said before, maybe THIS car is different.
2014 Audi RS5 (sold)
2012 Audi TT RS (sold)
Appreciate 0