View Single Post
      10-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #10
james33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Lotus Evora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
I have both: 2013 E92 M3 coupe and 2010 E89 Z4 w/ M Sport.

Couple of thoughts:

1. If I was forced to pick one, I would pick the Z4 hands down if (1) I was not a track rat and (2) I had another car that could carry passengers/cargo.

2. The Z4 is, by some margin, a better DD than the M3, due in large part to its fuel economy, size, and low-end torque.

3. The Z4 is the better looking car. My Z4 gets far more attention than my M3 whenever I take it to car events, the dealer, etc. The E89 Z4 is far more rare than an E92 M3 and a lot of people don't even know what they are.

4. The Z4 is much, much cheaper to mod for big power. $3,000 gets you crazy power on the Z4 with downpipes, a tune, an intercooler, and a filter or intake.

In my humble opinion, a Boxster is not special enough of a Porsche to justify the premium over an E89 Z4. If it were a 911 Turbo or a Carrera GTS, sure, but not a Boxster. This is especially true when you consider the virtues of a hardtop in the Z4.

If it were me, I would buy a CPO, low-mileage Z4 35is, then mod the car with the following:
  • FMIC
  • Downpipes
  • Cobb or JB4
  • Filter
  • KW v3 coilovers
  • H&R sway bars
  • WaveTrac limited-slip differential
  • A set of lightweight, ideally 18" wheels (HRE R40s or Volk TE-37s would be awesome, but Apex would work, too)
  • Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires in 235 and 275

You'll still have cash in the bank over the Boxster and you'll have a car that looks better, is faster, and handles as well as a Boxster.
I agree with a lot of your points - the Boxster isn't special, the Z4 is rarer, it looks better, and I love the hard top. So I am still thinking and deciding. I've driven both already and find the Z4 to be faster in a straight line but the Boxster more fun in the corners. I really don't care about drag racing or having the fastest car. As long as it's FUN to drive and communicates with me, and is at least quick, I'd pretty pretty happy. That's why I'm leaning towards the Boxster S.... And I'm not interested in an American muscle car of any kind. I don't plan on keeping any car more than a few years - I have too many I want to own so I may eventually own the Boxster and the Z4, or maybe a 911. And I REALLY want the M2 when it comes out. THAT will be something I'd do an ED on I think.....

Decisions....
Appreciate 0