08-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #144
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcysco View Post
The chassis is just not capable of delivering the handling characteristics that would be expected out of a M car. Releasing a M Z4 that didn't live up to the badge would damage the brand.
And how are all the M SUVs or even the M3/6 convertibles not damaging the brand? I think all BMW M cares about is making money, and that is why they did not make a Z4 M.

I mean of course the Z4s chassis is capable of delivering within what it is (in the same way an SUV M is), why would it not be? AFAIK it is stiffer than the old Z4 M roadster and it already has the adaptive suspension as an option. Please tell me how the E93 chassis is so much better? And if they can add M3 brakes and suspension to the old Z4, or even a 1-series, why wouldn't they be able to do the same to the E89.

I believe a Z4 M would have been a great boost to the BMW brand, much bigger so than any M SUV. A flagship roadster emits a lot of what is essential to the BMW brand (of yesterday perhaps).

The reason they didn't make it (so far) is because the business case looks too bad.
Appreciate 0