Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbell View Post
Mine is now having it's fuel tank replaced. As I'm away on vacation I emailed the garage for an update and this was their reply :

"The issue is well on the way to be resolved. I shall briefly summarize what's been happening.
We have been very busy in diagnosing this strange very intermittent noise. Andy has heard it so we know it is there.
We have firstly replaced all the parts that fit onto or into the fuel tank to see if this noise was eliminated. It wasn't so we have taken the decision to replace the fuel tank. This had to come over from Germany which took 5 days to get here (arrived this morning). Replacing the fuel tank is a massive job, virtually the whole of the rear suspension has to removed and then replaced and a geometry alignment carried out. This is going to roll over into Monday. Once this work is complete I propose that we continue testing the vehicle for a couple of days to make sure that this has been totally resolved and the noise is no longer there. This we can only do by Andy running the vehicle. Whilst Andy is running yours he has made his available for you and I will arrange to have it brought to your home on Monday."

So fingers crossed a whole replacement tank will sort it out.

Watch this space.

David
I had the same symptoms. My noise came back the day I drove it back home from the first in tank fuel pump replacement. Then BMW replaced the whole tank and updated software. No noise since. You should be good to go after this.