View Single Post
      08-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #86
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot109 View Post
I realize this is an old thread but if the OP is still active maybe you wouldn't mind answering another question? I found these forums by googling for info.

My situation:

Developed a toothache over a three day span.
Went to a dentist; X-ray showed an abscess under #18 which had a previous root canal 6-7 years ago.
Was able to get another root canal the same day.
The endodontist was unable to drain any of the abscess and said now that the tooth was fixed the infection would go away with antibiotics.
Gave me amoxicillin and sent me on my way. That was Tuesday.
Had horrendous pain but was trying to tough it out. My husband woke up at 3am to me screaming in another room from pain. Took me to the ER where they of course couldn't do anything.
Slept until Wednesday at noon and woke up with the entire left side of my face, and chin swollen, red and hot to the touch. Most pain I've ever been in.
Went back to the endodontist who stated this is the worst of it and switched me to clindamycin and said it will be gone in 24 hours.
Next day was even worse. Went back again, scared I might go septic frm the massive pocket of fluid in my face. Was reassured that it was fine. This was Thursday.
Thursday night into Friday the facial cellulitis did receed. However it is Saturday and I still have a massive pocket of fluid that is showing no signs of receding with the clindamycin or developing a fistula on its own. My face is so swollen from the massive amount of fluid I can a barely talk, much less want to because of the serious pain.

Sorry so long. My question: will the antibiotic even work for an encapsulated pocket of fluid? Even though the tooth is now fixed, will I have to have it extracted to get the fluid out?

Thanks so much
He won't answer your question unless you drive a BMW.

But seriously, it sounds like you need a second opinion.
Appreciate 0