12-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
pete_z89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 sdrive35i sound/sport/nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
Unless you press down the kick-down switch, in my experience the manual DCT mode is better than S (sequential?) mode.
I did not try it in manual mode, but next time (if I ever have the opportunity again), I will try that for sure.

Quote:
In S mode the car up-shifts too early in first and second gear (6.5k instead of 7k), and sometimes even double up-shifts in case of excessive wheel-spin.
I actually created a Microsoft Excel sheet (based on the Cobb Stage 1 tune numbers), to show where the optimum shift points are in each gear. Turns out (at least for Cobb stage 1), the optimum shift points are: 1st gear- ~6400 rpms; 2nd gear- ~6100 rpms; 3rd gear- ~5650 rpms; 4th gear- ~5350rpms. Again, this is just rounded to the nearest 50 rpms. I didn't get a computer to do these calculations either, but just from my own math and info I gained from Cobb's power curve given on their site, that's where I got these numbers.

I left the tranny in Sport mode the whole time just to see how the computer would do on it's own. Next time, I will try to memorize these shift points, and see if I can't go a little faster shifting on my own!

Quote:
I know that with the adaptive suspension you loose the firmest setting with DSC=off, but avoiding wheel spin on gear-shifts alone might mean "DSC=off"&"DCT M mode" is a faster combination than "Sport+"&"DCT S/M mode". Not just because wheel spin in and by itself is a waste of energy, but because it might trigger the ECU to temporarily "limp" the engine even in sport+ mode. This is particularly unwanted in a turbo engine like the N54.
Not only does DSC=off put the suspension in the softest setting, but it also doubles the shift speed of the tranny. I didn't realize this until about a month after owning the car, but a little research and personal observation has convinced me that when the "suspension" is put in Sport or Sport+ modes, the shift times are literally cut in half. This is why I was forced to leave it in Sport+ mode, instead of just completely DSC=off.

Luckily, I only had slight wheel spin at the end of 1st gear, but the engine did not enter limp mode! Both times this happened. No power was cut and the engine shifted into second gear on its own both times perfectly.

Quote:
Finally you can consider dragging with the roof down to add weight over the rear wheels.
I agree! Haha, but the track I'm at doesn't allow even the windows to be rolled down, let alone the convertible top down But I definitely thought of that!

Quote:
And btw, it is possible to let the DCT start in 2nd gear if you really feel like experimenting... personally I am out of warranty and I wouldn't dare to..!
It is indeed possible...but I think the performance times would be quite a bit worse.
Appreciate 0