View Single Post
      07-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #69
Chuck Tung
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 z4 35i

Garage List
I got the Alpine HID from Alpine MSS. I was looking for something brighter than the MTECs, and they are cheaper than the LUX and AIB's.

Here's a before and after pic. These are the 6000K bulbs.

A warning that they are very bright. Bright enough that I'm concerned that I might have problems passing inspection, since they throw light all over the place. However no one has flashed me yet to complain.

Installation is not difficult, but is not plug and play. It requires wiring the ballasts to your battery terminal, and drilling holes in your headlight enclosure caps. The kit includes rubber grommets to make your holes water-tight again. Also the kit is designed for an X5/X6, so the positive lead is just barely long enough to reach the battery. I spliced in extra length in the wire, so I could zip-tie the wire in a neater fashion.

I also had 1 defective ballast, which would occasionally go out, and stay off until I restarted the car. Alex promptly sent me a replacement, and I've been problem free since then.

Extra note, when installing the bulbs, I removed the white plastic ring under the rubber seal, and then moved the rubber seal into the groove where the plastic ring was. I'm assuming that the plastic ring is an optional spacer to ensure a tight fit in some models, but I could not get the bulb to fit with the plastic ring in place. I got a nice seal once I removed the plastic ring.

Here's a side-by-side pic I spliced together. You can see how bright the Alpines are compared to the stock bulbs

Last edited by Chuck Tung; 07-07-2011 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0