08-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #5
Dejablue
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 SDrive 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Pir8 View Post
Hi everyone,

I've found a used, low mileage 2013 35i that I'm interested in pursuing, but it is across the country. Anyone here have experience with buying in this arrangement and the best way to proceed? Of course I think it best to get the car checked by a dealer or independent (suggestions in Calgary, Alberta?!). Any problem areas for that vintage that I should have them focus on?

My kneejerk thought is to fly out to see the car, but on reflection, a clean bill of health and carproof is probably as much as a non-mechanic such as my self would be able to handle. Better to put the money to shipping the car? The drive home if I flew out would be 4 or so days.

Anyhow, looking forward to possibly joining this community in a more meaningful way soon. Thanks in advance for any insights or advice!
I have been through this issue a few months ago when i purchased and shipped my 35is from California to Boston. (The link Paris referenced is mine)
I never really considered an in person viewing being so far away, but the best piece of mind I received, besides how great the dealer said the car was, was hiring a BMW Specialty shop to perform a Pre-Purchase Inspection on the car.
You can read my Hunt For Z4 post to explore my entire experience with this issue.

One thing not in there is, I have recently learned that BMW is modifying their CPO warranty transfer rules. I think for cars after 2014 that are not purchased from a BMW dealer, the warranty will not transfer with the car anymore.
Appreciate 0