View Single Post
      01-02-2015, 12:03 PM   #1
digidee
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Z4 (E89)

DIY - E89 Replace the Ashtray with Sunglasses Holder

DIY E89 - How to replace the ashtray with sunglasses holder.

If you drive an E89 (or any Z4 for that matter) you know that space is a premium so if you are a nonsmoker, this is a great way to gain a little more storage inside the cockpit. I have the 8-speed Steptronic Sport transmission without a navigation system. As far as I can tell, the sunglasses holder comes with the navigation system setup. Without the navigation, you get the ashtray.

I guess smokers don't need navigation?

Overall, this is a very simple and inexpensive swap. The storage unit or sunglasses holder (#5166 9 157 590) was about $25 from the deal and the process only took about an hour and a half - I moved pretty slow and my approach was to remove as few parts as possible.

Name:  IMG_0336.JPG
Views: 9932
Size:  109.9 KB

Step #1 - Remove the Armrest Console tray.
Pull out the 3 rubber matts and 4 Torx screws to remove the center console tray.

Name:  IMG_0339.JPG
Views: 7182
Size:  347.0 KB

(I forgot to take a picture of the console after removing the try so I stole this pic from another post. Thanks other post!)
Name:  DSC_2670a.jpg
Views: 5835
Size:  88.3 KB

Step #2 - Pull the shifter boot holder up.
I have an 8-speed Steptronic Sport transmission and didn't want to bother removing the shifter knob. There is no need.

Step #3 - Pull the center console up - Do not remove completely!
With a minimal approach, there is no need to completely remove the center console.

Note: The front of the console is wedged in pretty tightly between the lower dash and clips. Take your time and be gentle.
Name:  IMG_0342.JPG
Views: 6647
Size:  186.9 KB

Step #4 - Unplug the Ashtray
Depending on your transmission - You might need to move the shifter a bit in order to turn the console sideways. Be sure to tuck the wire away into a safe place where it will not interfere with the sunglasses / storage tray.
Name:  IMG_0344.JPG
Views: 5658
Size:  137.6 KB

Step #5 - Remove the ashtray
There are 4 Torx screws holding the ashtray to the console - two on each side. Again, depending on your transmission, you might need to move the shifter around in order to slide the ashtray out once it's unplugged and the screws are removed.
Name:  IMG_0347.JPG
Views: 6043
Size:  152.2 KB

Step #6 - Install the sunglasses / storage tray
This will take less wrangling than removing the ashtray. Once it's in place, insert all 4 screws.
Name:  IMG_0346.JPG
Views: 5737
Size:  171.1 KB

Once the sunglasses / storage tray is screwed in, simply snap the console and shifter boot back into place and replace the armrest console tray.

Note: Go slow when snapping the center console back in place. Remember, the front is wedged in pretty tight so some force is necessary.

In the end, you will have a much more functional space to hold your cell phone, sunglasses or other nicknacks. And you will have a spare ashtray just in case.

Name:  IMG_0352.JPG
Views: 6262
Size:  185.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0353.JPG
Views: 5816
Size:  225.5 KB

Last edited by digidee; 01-02-2015 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: add image
Appreciate 0