View Single Post
      05-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #63
DslDwg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
No doubt it's possible to obtain another 100 +/- hp from 2L, but I would be hesitant to do it. Turbo charging an engine already places high demands on the engine pistons and rotating assembly due to high cylinder pressures. Sustained over boost to gain an additional 100 hp is not healthy for long engine life.

And unlike the n54, I really don't believe BMW left 100 hp on the table for easy pickings. Think about it: Dinan's n54 stage III tune adds 98 more horsepower and 129 more lb-ft, or about 33 percent hp increase. That increase is spread across 3L and 6 cylinders. Dinan is willing to warranty the engine, but he adds a larger oil cooler and tweaks other engine operations like the water pump.

Increasing the 2.0L from 180 hp to 280 hp is a 55 percent increase. If it was for racing purposes and all that concerned you was the next 5 to 10 races, then by all means squeeze out every last hp. But for a daily driver, if they really can produces those numbers, for longevity sake and no warranty, I would avoid it.

FWIW

Cheers
Not sure what engine were talking about here.

Using the N20 as an example.

In the 320i the engine makes 180hp

While in the 328i it makes 240hp.

So is the 320i N20 a de-tuned version of the engine or is the 328i N20 a hopped up version of the engine?

I will say your argument is correct the N20 at 240hp has one of the highest BMEPs (avg cylinder pressure) of any stock engine in the BMW catalog.

I've seen where at least one tuner has taken this engine to 300hp using E85. So definitely possible but to your point probably not very good for the long term life of your engine.
Appreciate 0