02-08-2017, 06:59 AM   #4
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Mazda switched to offering lots of safety tech on the manual Mazda 3 this year after previously offering it on the automatic only. All it takes for something like auto brakes is a way to essentially engage the clutch automatically, or just eject the shifter from gear.

Efficiency is really going to be the biggest factor. When I looked at the BRZ, the mileage was about 4mpg better for the auto. The GTI is about 2. But it will continue to get worse and fewer companies will want to take the hit to fleet averages.

But some cars, Miatas, 911's and Wranglers will fight the good fight for a long time to come.
Isn't the M3 DCT rated worse than the Manual?

I agree that on average the ratings are better for automatics, but I'm not sure if in the real world the results are as different as the official ratings.

My manual M3 gets 1 mpg better efficiency than my previous G37x automatic. With a 100 more HP and more aggressive driving in the M3. They were both rated 20 mpg overall. I also think the M3 (like my 335 6MT before) has too short of a 6th gear. If they made it longer I wouldn't be surprised if I gained about her mpg or 2 there alone.

Hopefully technology of engines can take the load off of the transmissions. It will be a sad day when they are gone for good.
Appreciate 0