View Single Post
      10-09-2010, 10:12 PM   #96
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

HerrK, as a testing engineer tell me what you think.

Of course the side of the pump connected of the engine is going to get plenty of lubrication, but the other side will be lubricated by the fuel itself. Now we know that gasoline (petrol) provides adequate lubrication for simple electric fuel pumps, as this is evident by the millions of in-tank pumps out there with thousands of miles on them.

The BMW HPFP seems to be a very complicated mechanical device to on rely gasoline (petrol) to provide adequate lubrication. Just my personal observation based on a poor quality photo, but if you look closely at the darkened color of the piston plungers sticking out of the device it appears they've experienced a fair amount of heat and inadequate lubrication.

I know the ethanol question is still out there but I'd really like to focus on the question of pump lubrication on the fuel side.

Attached Images

"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 10-09-2010 at 10:35 PM..
Appreciate 0