View Single Post
      01-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #13
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I would be really surprised if the base model went to 200 BHP....unless it somehow went on some sort of crash diet.

I think the smaller engines will at least be in the same ballpark, as far as power goes, but I would think all models will get lighter...otherwise you will just have underpowered engines pulling heavy vehicles around...which doesn't bode well for fuel economy...
you guys in the States are spoiled / used to the powerful versions of the different model ranges. In other parts of the world it is more common to have less powerful engines. The majority of 3 series sold in Europe have less then 200hp, by far!
A turbocharged 4 cylinder with a lot more torque and a better powerband will be beter performing in daily life then a straight six with the same hp. The sound is of course a different thing, especially in a Z4. Let's see how BMW tuned the sound of the FI 4cylinders.

I am told that the X5 will receive the 4cylinder turbo as well by the way. That sounds a bit strange, 4cylinder in such a huge car. You will probable see the street when you open the hood.
Appreciate 0