View Single Post
      10-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #8
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I have both: 2013 E92 M3 coupe and 2010 E89 Z4 w/ M Sport.

Couple of thoughts:

1. If I was forced to pick one, I would pick the Z4 hands down if (1) I was not a track rat and (2) I had another car that could carry passengers/cargo.

2. The Z4 is, by some margin, a better DD than the M3, due in large part to its fuel economy, size, and low-end torque.

3. The Z4 is the better looking car. My Z4 gets far more attention than my M3 whenever I take it to car events, the dealer, etc. The E89 Z4 is far more rare than an E92 M3 and a lot of people don't even know what they are.

4. The Z4 is much, much cheaper to mod for big power. $3,000 gets you crazy power on the Z4 with downpipes, a tune, an intercooler, and a filter or intake.

In my humble opinion, a Boxster is not special enough of a Porsche to justify the premium over an E89 Z4. If it were a 911 Turbo or a Carrera GTS, sure, but not a Boxster. This is especially true when you consider the virtues of a hardtop in the Z4.

If it were me, I would buy a CPO, low-mileage Z4 35is, then mod the car with the following:
  • FMIC
  • Downpipes
  • Cobb or JB4
  • Filter
  • KW v3 coilovers
  • H&R sway bars
  • WaveTrac limited-slip differential
  • A set of lightweight, ideally 18" wheels (HRE R40s or Volk TE-37s would be awesome, but Apex would work, too)
  • Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires in 235 and 275

You'll still have cash in the bank over the Boxster and you'll have a car that looks better, is faster, and handles as well as a Boxster.
Appreciate 0