Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
None of the turbo-fours I have owned over the years have delivered anywhere near their rated MPG in real-world driving, especially under spirited driving. The "throttle tax" is much worse than on larger displacement normally aspirated engines. If you baby them, you can get good MPG. But if driven hard, or driven over a lot of city routes, forget it.
Agree.

I like turbos. You can chose to thrash them or chose to coddle them for great milage.

The two operating modes are mutually exclusive.
I had a Mazda 3 MPS before the Z. 2.3 litre direct injection 4. 190kW, 380Nm torque.
EVen normal driving with a heavy foot, I used more petrol than I do every day in the 35is, and the Z4 is a lot faster and more powerful.

There is no doubt that the weight of the foot is more important in milage claims than anything the standard tests can put forward when it comes to a turbo engine (whether 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 or 16 cylinders).

While our motor manufacturers are set ever higher hurdles from government regulations on CO2 emmissions and mileage claims for their fleet sales, we will see the rise of the turbo / supercharged engine in response.

Just dont believe the best case mileage numbers as being real world.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0