11-23-2023, 07:31 AM   #53
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed4USA View Post
Looks like it can be bought for ~$600 from alliexpress (if this is the same thing):

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805962670447.html
Looks the same, but would you get aftersales support if you have a problem? The problem with buying from Aliexpress, and yes I know this from experience, is that sometimes it can go wrong and then it's no longer such a bargain.
Let me expand on that...
A lot of sellers on there use "Drop Shipping", where they never hold any stock. Once you place an order with them it is automatically sent to the warehouse that holds stock for loads of sellers and then they ship it out to you. Now if you have a technical enquiry, ie; something isn't doing what it's supposed to be doing, the seller probably doesn't have a clue, so he'll contact some technical support from the original point of origin to get advice and "hopefully" sort you out. But if there is a language problem here (and there very well is most of the time) then this isn't going to work out with a usable solution, hence where the problem lies.

Now I've bought stuff from Aliexpress before and have had no issues on most of the items, for instance the replacement "B&O" speakers for my Z4. I knew they probably were fake, but for the price they've been a great upgrade to the OE ones for the last 3 years. But I've bought a couple of items where I've had to jump through hoops to get anywhere, which is all designed to put you off.

So it may look like a bargain, and it may well be, but.....

Just my opinion

Oh and just for the record, I've now removed my digital cluster and replaced it with my OE one

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0