View Single Post
      12-15-2022, 11:38 AM   #49
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Great to see another fellow sailor here.

I guess it's just context on as you mentioned size of boat along with the other things that go with it.

I bought mine used and felt I got a great boat for $16k. Had all the instrumentation I needed included. Slip fees for me are $2400 a year which includes water and electricity. Insurance is $240 a year. And bi yearly registration fee is $24. Would these numbers go up if I got into a bigger boat? Yes, of course. I don't see me getting into another boat anytime soon for the type of sailing I do. I have kicked around the idea of just selling everything and getting a nice catamaran to go island hopping when I retire; to bring this tangent back to the topic of this thread. I know nice catamarans go for $750k and up in the range I'm looking. But if I were to do this, the cat would be my home.
Agreed! Love chatting with others who know the feeling of freedom when you hoist the sails and head out. I think maybe it was Mark Twain that said something like "There is no better time spent than tinkering around on a boat". That has always rung true for me.

IF I ever found myself not married, (hoping that never is the case), your plan to sail off is exactly what I would do also. I could spend years just bouncing around in the Bahamas! Mrs Hubba enjoyed her time with me when she could go, but having the boat as the sole home is something to which she is adamently opposed. The day will come when it is time to do it again, and to have something in the PNW for summertime sailing and winter time visits is really intriguing.
Appreciate 1