View Single Post
      12-15-2022, 11:12 AM   #48
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
I had a 36' sailboat for about 5 years. I figure that boat cost me about $1000/month, all in. The next one will be in the 43'-46' range. The bigger the boat, the bigger the slip fees, insurarance, slip taxes, boat tax, hull cleaning, general maintenance (which of course I can do some myself), and so on. By the time I get there, guessing $2000/month should cover it all. That said, it was partly said in jest, but I don't want to be boat poor, either.
Great to see another fellow sailor here.

I guess it's just context on as you mentioned size of boat along with the other things that go with it.

I bought mine used and felt I got a great boat for $16k. Had all the instrumentation I needed included. Slip fees for me are $2400 a year which includes water and electricity. Insurance is $240 a year. And bi yearly registration fee is $24. Would these numbers go up if I got into a bigger boat? Yes, of course. I don't see me getting into another boat anytime soon for the type of sailing I do. I have kicked around the idea of just selling everything and getting a nice catamaran to go island hopping when I retire; to bring this tangent back to the topic of this thread. I know nice catamarans go for $750k and up in the range I'm looking. But if I were to do this, the cat would be my home.
Appreciate 1