View Single Post
      04-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
hector
Captain
Rep
Drives: e46 330ci, e92 335i, 2008 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzaro View Post
I don't see the point in the Z2 for BMW at this stage. The last thing they need is a 2-seater/roadster slotting in below the Z4. Don't forget the 135i convertible. What are they trying to take on ...jap cars? The low volume MX5 which has that segement wrapped up? Even Honda sadly pulled their S2000, Toyota jettisoned their mid-engined MR2, Ford got rid of their Capri. Audi havent bothered or even Alfa. I'd rather BMW concentrate on something for a bit more $$$ to compete with Benz's SLS AMG, who are not even bothering with a sub-SLK roadster.
i won't try to make the business case for the z2(way above my pay grade) but as a consumer i think that the z4 has become a little too much like a mini-sl(power retractable hardtop model only, etc., not to mention a base price for the least powerful model of nearly 49k. to me it's a shame that their only sports car is anything but elemental. if it had not evolved so from the z3 i would certainly agree with you but as it is it's too refined and expensive for me. also, wouldn't the z2 fall into a segment above the miata? it seems that there is room for such a segment given that the z4 base price is double the miatas.
Appreciate 0