05-26-2010, 11:49 PM   #10
BLKZ
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35i - sapphire black

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCarr View Post
I'm really not noticing much of a difference between the jet black and black saphire....... is it really worth the extra £520??
If you are comparing jet black and black sapphire cars in photos, then I can understand your statement. You need to see the real thing to understand the difference, but the problem is finding a jet black car to look at - they don't sell very many BMWs in jet black in any model. The survey above bears this out - it is not a particularly popular colour.

Most people want the extra sparkle & flare that metallic paint provides, as well as the perfect reflections that you get with the clear coat over the top of the metallic basecoat. Metallic paint shows the contours of the Z4's bodywork better than non-metallic (solid) colours. With the solid jet black, there are great reflections when it's clean, but there's no flare.

As I mentioned previously, people advised me to avoid Jet black due to the visibility of the inevitable swirl marks, which Sapphire black hides to some extent due to the metallic effect.

Besides, when you are talking only about 1% of the car's total retail price, why skimp and go with jet black?
Appreciate 0