View Single Post
      05-11-2016, 05:03 PM   #61
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten View Post
From a product perspective, it's similar in ways to 1956...without the financial burden. Forward thinking to broaden market share and define the brands for the new and future generations. To do that without alienating the current buying powers and providing a bit of "tradition" is a challenge...though not an impossible one.

The 6er has a niche, but in my opinion it is too broad and over-bounding with the F06/12/13. The GC certainly is successful and a cash-cow, but has the program sacrificed a bit too much at the top and bottom? It ate away 7er sales (in the US at least), and also had a hard time competing with the CLS and A/S7 on price.

The Z5 Coupé program should continue to progress to market. The partnership has been a bit difficult, but there is clarity (at least internally) on what the other-half intends to do with it. A hardtop Z5 would be an inevitable and financially sound route as long as it isn't strangled internally trying to hold its place.

I really hope no one mucks up Rolls Royce. The motorcar company was as good as dead in the mid-90's and had things not worked out in the manner by which they did, VW Management, Design, and Engineering didn't have the vision or abilities to re-imagine Rolls Royce properly. I've seen archived plans and designs...doesn't even come close to what BMW managed to do. The split from Bentley was proper, true to their respective roots, and made one of the most important automotive marques not only relevant again, but re-birthed it for the future and brought success and a bit of jealousy. It was nothing short of a miracle, especially in the short time span available.

Black Badge is something the brand desperately needed. To my knowledge, I have the only Ghost Series II V-Specification EWB in North America. Most "car-nuts" probably have never heard of V-Specification or even knew a "meaner, more athletic" Rolls even existed. Most of my friends go Bentley, Ferrari, or AMG Mercedes. As soon as they saw the promotional video, Black Badge is all they are talking about when it comes to cars they want.

There is room for a Shadow in the model line, but I don't agree that it has to be "between the Ghost and Phantom". Both the Ghost, Phantom, and (soon) Cullinan Families all need a sub-variant or two in order to fill a few untapped segments. Although I know Dr. Gleiber well, I wonder if there aren't some more effective options for Whisper.
They brought "Black Badge" to Beijing and it was interesting to see wealthy young Chinese make payments for reservations.
They really want to tap into the essence of Black Badge with its own singular concept , a sportier but highly exclusive model like a four dr Coupe.
It is the perfect challenge in regards to how Bentley completely ruined the Mulsanne with its ungainly refresh.
Attached Images