08-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #17
javol
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymdd View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question but what's the difference between the secondary cats and the first cats?
In the N54 engine, the 2 primary cats are part of the downpipes, hence are practically located at 15-20 cm from the turbos. They are the most effective in reducing emissions and the most restrictive in term of exhaust flow, quitting power and torque. Removing the primary cats gan give you aprox 20-30 whp, depending on the chip tuning you run, and less turbo lag. The secondary cats are located aprox in the center of the car, welded to the midpipes. Removing them does NOT improve power and torque nor reduce turbo lag. Probably the emissions increase and it depends on how much severe are the laws where you live to go with this mod or not. For what concern the Z4 35i, I think this is the best mod to have a louder sound and an amplified upshift "TUM" @ very low cost, at least in Italy.
2012 Z4 35i DCT Black/Beige - 20" Vossen CV3, PB-Brake BBK, ///M Front Bumper, ///M Steering Wheel, Led Angel Eyes, Black Grille, Short Antenna - Tuning: JB4 Map 2, Custom Made 3" DPs & MPs, BMS Dual Intake - Desire list: 3D Design Front Lip, Meth Kit, FMIC.
Appreciate 0