Thread: Noobs
View Single Post
      11-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #115
AKFROMTHEUK
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35iS

Hi all

Been reading the forum for a few weeks now whilst waiting for my new 35iS to arrive and after 500 miles I feel it’s my duty to write my first post on the forum in the form of an initial review!

I’m Andy and I live in Surrey in good old Blighty (I see we’ve been asked to introduce ourselves!) but more importantly, on to the car.

I’ve had a few BMWs now (my last non BMW was a Toyota MR2 GT in about 1990) but since then had a Z3 (because James Bond had one!), a 320 and a 2003 Z4 which has now made way for the new one. Still have 2006 330i M Sport Saloon (for practical reasons!!).

Anyway here’s the spec with a few comments added...

Black Sapphire – love it! Nightmare to clean (although I haven’t yet!) but well worth the effort, looked amazing just out of the showroom. Thought about the White with red or black leather but went for the stealth look instead! I think White with Red is the most striking and noticeable but prefer the more subtle look – will let the exhaust and stereo make all the noise!

Black Kansas Leather.

19” 326 M alloys. Never had 19s before and coming from the old Z4 was very apprehensive about the ride (old Z was really firm on 18s and put me off driving it any really long distances). No need to have worried though as even in Sport mode the ride still seems more comfortable than the old one – much less tram lining too. I think they look great with the black paintwork, just dreading the inevitable first kerb contact, don’t know if it’ll be more emotional if it’s me or the Mrs that does it first!!

LOGIC7 Professional Loudspeaker System. Got the equivalent on my 3 Series so was expecting great things. Was bitterly disappointed at the start as the sound was awful and thought I’d wasted £800. Tried every setting but couldn’t find one that made the radio, CD and Ipod all sound good without having to change the settings for each one (in the 3 I found what I liked straightaway and it works just as well for any input). Anyway, I sort of thought that speakers needed time to loosen up and it seems that’s just what they’ve done and the sound is a lot better now (that or my ears have adjusted to the different sound). Whether it’s still as good as the 3 is debateable although the bass is definitely much deeper (from the subs which the 3 doesn’t have). Not really been the weather for top-down driving yet but guess the extra bass will be good for that when the time comes. 14 speakers around 2 seats should be enough though!!

Seat heating. Love it and would never buy a car again without it. Just wish I could press a button from inside the house to turn it on before I get into it on the cold winter mornings!

Steering wheel heating. Ditto above, however, it does seem to reach a certain temperature and then cool off (with it still being switched on) then gets hot again – obviously some sort of thermostat involved but would love it to stay really hot all the time it’s on. Makes you keep two hands on the wheel in the winter so a good safety device too!!

Wind deflector. On the last Z4 we just kept it in place all the time as makes such a difference and will do the same with this one.

Ext and Int mirrors – folding and auto dimming. The exterior mirrors are really funky – obviously photosensitive (or whatever the word is!) Apart from about a 5mm area around the outside of the mirror, they darken (almost to black) when headlights from behind the car hit them.

Park Distance Control – front and rear. To save using the mirrors and crunching the long front end on anything!

Extended Storage. Not sure exactly what’s included in this option but it came in the Comfort Package with the w/deflector, mirrors and PDC. Didn’t go for Sat Nav so there’s a space to put your sunglasses instead (won’t need that for a while then!).

Through-loading storage bag. Haven’t used it yet but will be perfect for the golf clubs (or anything else long and thin!). It also comes with the parts to turn the “hole” into a small storage compartment.

Other things...

Love the Oxide Silver wing mirrors and they’re a great complement to the black bodywork. They also seem to highlight the small detailing within the front spoiler – also match the grille. Not so sure they’d look so good with silver bodywork as the contrast wouldn’t be so great.

No front fogs – strange on a car like that but guess the Zenons make up for that. Back lights are amazing though – look like 2 long, floating red bars.
Antenna – seen a few posts about changing for a Stubby but don’t think I will, doesn’t upset me enough!

Heating – Incredibly powerful system but seems there’s no vent directly onto your feet, only onto your knee (after it’s nearly melted the key fob which hangs right in the way!)

DCT – tough one this as obviously didn’t have the choice with this engine. Would always go for a manual normally as I feel you have more control but I thought, with all the settings the DCT offers, there’d be at least one I liked! Also wanted a sub 5 second 0-60 car so decided I must have the 35iS engine! Haven’t played around too much yet but I do like the idea of the versatility of using the normal auto setting for pottering about in traffic, Sport mode for a clear road, and the paddles for when I’m very late!

Brake callipers – very disappointingly dull! I’m sure they’re more than capable of stopping me as quick as I’d hoped but with the 326 alloys showing so much of them I wish they were a bit sexier – at least gloss black. Not sure I want to spend £3k upgrading them to Brembo’s as it’s more of a cosmetic than performance issue for me.

Exhaust – wish it was a quad but can’t really argue with the sound it produces. The only annoying thing it is seems more noticeable to someone standing on the kerb than to me inside the car!

All in all totally happy with my new toy – keep popping out to the garage every evening to have a look at it! On a similar note, the new Z is a lot wider than the previous one and barely fits in the garage. Might have to get the 2 single doors changed for one large one to get it in without worrying about scraping it. That’s about the same cost as the Brembo’s so have a dilemma!!!

Sorry for the long thread and apologies the pics aren't great (all I could manage with a Blackberry and not much daylight!) but had to get some of my excitement off my chest!

If you go down to the woods today....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0