12-19-2008, 02:52 PM   #18
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFexec View Post
That lock down shelf thing is there to prevent you from overloading the trunk and damaging the top mechanism when you put the top down. It's the same design as in my e93. That trunk is bigger, of course, but it does allow for a pretty decent sized suitcase and other stuff. You can buy luggage to fit the e93 trunk, and I bet before long there will be similar luggage for the new Z4. Does it cut down on cargo space? Yes it does - but then it saves you a very expensive repair bill if you should try to open the top with too much stuff in the trunk. Also - you cannot operate the top unless that "shelf thing" is in the closed position.

Doug
So I guess if you remove the shelf thing all together, the car just simply won't let you open the top? In that case provided that you need the cargo space, you can always just close the top, remove the shelf and have tons of space!? If that's the case that sounds really neat and the trunk capacity is not small at all!

The passthrough area however seems tight to fit 2 people's worth of snow sport gears tho... And of course, being a convertible you can't mount a roof rack or anything.... Not so much an 'all season roadster' if you can't hit the slope with it.... Maybe I'll just get a 1 series as my next car....
Appreciate 0