Thread: cold start prb?
View Single Post
      11-28-2013, 01:45 AM   #30
Longboard
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Well!

I just got back from vacation with the wife. We took a trip from our house in SoCal up the coast in our 35I.

We stopped in Carmel for the night. The temps got down in 40's over night. We got up early to head out for the final drive up to San Francisco. When I pushed the button the car started then began stud during back. Instantly I smelled gas. I turned it off and tried again. this time it ran rough then died. Before it died lots of smoke out the pipes. Infect, there was gas shooting out of the tail pipes

I new right away we were screwed because I had just read this tread before leaving too. I thought right away I had a failed injector and or coil pack.

Unfortunately it was Sunday and the only dealer in Monetary was closed. First thing monday we had it towed to the dealer. First, I have to say that Kenny the service rep and the whole team at Monterey BMW where amazing. They were booked solid because every one was looking to bring their cars in. He didn't think he could get the car looked at until tuesday and had no loaner cars.

Once he found out that we were stranded hundreds of miles from home he talked to his manager who gave up his personal car for the day for us. They then, some how fit ours in to get looked at. By 5pm Kenny called to say the car was done completely and ready for pickup. All covered under warranty.

Now what went wrong you ask? You already know. 3 injectors, 3 plugs and 1 coil all in bank two. They didn't replace everything just what failed. Next week I will take it in to my local dealer to talk about the failure and see if I can get the remaining injectors replaced because I now feel they are just a time bomb waiting to go. No more long trips in the Z.

One thing I want you all to know if the rough idle at start up seems to be the start of injector failure. If you get this (like I did starting a few weeks ago) take in in right away. Also, watch your gas milage. On the way up I was seeing 21mpg before it failed. On the way back I averaged 27mpg. This I believe is another clue that you have leaking injectors.

It also seems that most failures are seen between 30-40K miles.

Longboard

Last edited by Longboard; 11-28-2013 at 02:09 AM..
Appreciate 0