09-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #38
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
There is a simple solution to your point: If you don't want one, don't buy one.
Mind you: Since most of your fellow countrymen think like you, this version is not even offered in the U.S. There simply is no market.
And as you might already have figured out: I wouldn't want one too.
But I'm not hating on it. A 2.0 litre turbo with 184 hp (which is the base version)
apparantly is enough for others. And if there is a market for a Z4 with the just presented 1.5 litre 3cylinder, why not sell it? Not that I think this is going to happen, just sayin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
There are some funny Americans here!
For example Audi TT has a base model with a 1.8l TFSI engine and 160 PS.
Mercedes SLK has a base model with a 1.8l engine and 184 PS.
In some countries these base models are enough because the taxes for the engines with a capacity over 2l are quite high!
Adding an M Pack, S Line, etc offers a more aggressive look and a sportier drive and again this is what a lot of young persons want!
Base price for Z4 20i in Germany:36.600 Euro ~ 47300 $; in US the base price for Z4 28i: 48650 $.
If we take into account the fuel prices you will understand why the Europeans like these base engines too
I understand both your points and they are well taken. Thanks for the clarification.

Without continuing the argument, let's just say rhetorically speaking, does it qualify as an ultimate driving machine? BMW knows the answer to how their clients feel, and the market decides regardless of what I think.

But for clarification, I don't hate the car - it's beautiful. But I really, really don't like the trend. Although not in the same classes, one can look at the 911 P/W ratio as well as the Miata and Fiats I mentioned - they are both much lighter lighter cars. The Z4 2.0 liter displacement would make a lot more sense to me if BMW would shave off at least 300 lbs. As currently configured, 3,300 lbs and 185 hp the Z4 2.0i M will be a marginal performer at best, and the M designation is somewhat comical.

I'm one of those people who still loves a MT. The DCT is great, but I feel there should always be a MT option available. We know that's changing as well. In ten years, no one will remember that a MT even existed and likely call me crazy for suggesting that a human being would do something so unproductive as to actually decide what gears to shift and when to shift them. They will suggest that I have no love for mother earth.

The great line from I Robot, the movie:

". . . you drove by hand?!!! "

Cheers
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 09-30-2012 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0