View Single Post
      08-19-2016, 05:18 AM   #154
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

I see a South African long term reviewer on Youtube, that drove the car for several thousand km, complained about the noises it made.
They are irritating and do take some tracking down.
Every single joint on the dash/doors/rear deck/hoops I sprayed silicon bumper spray, even the iDrive screen mechanism (it's gears then stopped rattling). I sprayed behind the trim where the airbag sits recently to cure the last noise.
The sun visors rattle so they needed pads where they touch the trim.
Even the mirror cover inside rattled.

The roof try first dropping the windows an inch to see if noise goes.
The black strip that guides the windows butts up against a bolt head on the roof trim. Poke a finger in the roof rubber trim gap and you will feel it.
Some noise went away when I dropped the windows, as they seemed to push up the roof slightly. Always keep the rubber trim lubed.

The triangle wedge in the rear deck recently started making noise. I had initially forgotten the cure, but a couple of thin pads either side of the wedge cured that.(My originals had dropped off). Also the rear deck where the flip up panels lift I placed some thin rubber. BMW actually glue felt here just outboard of the panels, which seems to fall off.
The top roof sits on four wedges. Thin rubber on those seemed to help.
Perhaps I should do a YT vid of all the things I have done.

Having non rft and something I have done recently, that seems to have made a difference, after market shocks. I have non adapt so straight forward. Perhaps the originals are too hard and shake the car too much.
Even had to rotate a rear spring to stop what sounded like someone hitting the bottom the boot (trunk) with a rubber mallet.
Touch wood, glides along like a silent magic carpet...for the moment

Last edited by bigendbob; 08-19-2016 at 05:25 AM..
Appreciate 0