View Single Post
      04-20-2011, 02:46 AM   #90
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Coupe

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Rather than force our hand with this new engine, BMW should offer it as an option in the US and see what the take rate is before ditching the N52 completely. Introducing the N20 in the X1 makes complete sense and it would also be great if they could introduce a 320i and 120i at slightly lower price points so this engine can make its own market.

I also think the Z4 is a terrible car for introducing this engine. You can talk about Miatas and TTs all you want, but the Z4 starts at $48K in the US which means they're really $55K on dealer lots with decent options. Whether deserved or not, the reputation that 4 cylinders have in this country will make it hard for BMW to sell a lot of $50-55K 4 cylinder sporty/luxurious convertible. Unlike a GTI, the N20 engine does not match the established image of the Z4.

And a few other points of reality:
  • BMW hasn't even suggested the an N20 equipped Z4 will weigh less than an N52 equipped Z4. The bare engine may be lighter, but once all the cooling bits are in, I think it'll be a wash or perhaps some truly neglible savings. If significant weight savings were part of the deal, BMW would be promoting it front and center. That they're not is very telling.
  • NVH and aduio quality will undoubtedly suffer compared with the N52. When BMW goes out of their way to supress the sound of the engine or worse, cover it up with artificial noise, you know that they know the sound isn't pretty. Again, maybe fine for an X1, but not for a Z4.
  • As others have mentioned, I'll only believe the additional mileage claims when I see them. EPA figures have gotten more accurate since their recent formula adjustment, but they're still not real world accurate. My wife and I took a road trip in her 328xi Sports Wagon (automatic). Even with some windy weather, lots of hills and a relatively heavy foot, we averaged 25MPG. Do you really think we would get much better mileage with an N20 in the same 3,900 lb. car under the same conditions? I'd bet 1 MPG improvment at best, which is not enough to make me switch from a lovely NA I-6.

BMW needs to consider its U.S. heritage and how much their identity is based on NA I-6s and RWD. Give us the NA I-6 option option, BMW, or watch customers like me leave the brand.
Appreciate 0