08-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #109
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
You're brand-prejudiced, plain and simple. You have zero first hand experience with the product you are hammering.
I don't apologize for my hate of VW, nor will I back down from it.

Quote:
The GTI is THE hot hatch. It has a cult following and for good reason - it's a fantastic car. If everyone cared about reliability, exclusively, the world would be filled with what... the Toyota Matrix? ZZZZZZZZZZZ. Wake me when they build something exciting. FWIW, my brother has a 2007 Si on its second engine. My father has a 2009 GTI that still drives like it's brand new.
Not saying this is impossible, but it's highly unlikely. Honda is far away a more reliable brand from EVERY objective study I've ever seen. And for such a "fantastic" car, the GTI never finds itself in the hands of enthusiast on a Autocross - I do see TONS of Hondas though.

Quote:
I bought my S4 because it had more features than the 335xi. It has an adjustable diff, push-button adjustable suspension, a nav that actually works (unlike my BMW of the same vintage), and many other creature comforts that I love (B&O sound system, fantastic seats, etc). There simply is no Japanese counterpart to my car. Why? Because they build bread and butter cars for people to drive back and forth from Publix. There is no excitement. They are no bark, no bite.
So you bought a FWD Golf streched into a sedan with AWD and think it's better than a well engineered RWD car? Ok.

Quote:
Which segments does Lexus lead? The BMW 3er has been the benchmark for decades. They, along with Audi and Mercedes, are the innovators. With innovation can come some level of lesser reliability, but that's a trade-off that many are willing to make. It's also how they stay ahead. You're not reaching for the future if you design an engine and leave it unchanged for 10+ years. That's how you get left in the dust...
HUH?
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...65-3-roa1013-5 Winner, Lexus

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...lexus_bmw.html
Winner, Lexus

Have fun with being a a second tier BMW Audi (because that's all it will ever be)

Quote:
The Lexus IS is one of my favorite car designs out there right now, but they've nixed the manual and carried over the same boring (yet surely reliable) engines from the last generation. Shouldn't a car that looks that radical and exciting have a drivetrain to match? Me thinks so. If they did so, I would put down my deposit today. Again... Lexus was almost there.
Last generation engines from Toyota and Nissan are still better than anything Audi makes. In fact, I'm sure the GT-R walks away from anything made by any German make save the newest 911.
Appreciate 0