United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
You want to know the truth?
You're brand-prejudiced, plain and simple. You have zero first hand experience with the product you are hammering.

Quote:
It's because I don't get it. I don't understand the fervor for a subpar brand that has never built anything significant or even legendary, or achieved any engineering feat worthy of my attention. The entire range of cars across all their brands represent what I consider the most revolting compromise of style over substance.
The GTI is THE hot hatch. It has a cult following and for good reason - it's a fantastic car. If everyone cared about reliability, exclusively, the world would be filled with what... the Toyota Matrix? ZZZZZZZZZZZ. Wake me when they build something exciting. FWIW, my brother has a 2007 Si on its second engine. My father has a 2009 GTI that still drives like it's brand new.

Quote:
Hear me out for a moment - I can't recall one Audi branded product that I could justifiably own over any of its counterparts, as they had nothing of substance to hold as beacon to potential buyers. A brand that ‘small’ engines with small output that produced just adequate acceleration and fuel economy, consistently bested by their Japanese counterparts, (Remember, this is the same company that still produces an engine with 8 valves, and 115hp. It’s pathetic.) Priced higher than arguably cars that are better equipped and coupled extremely spectrums of styling (early 2000s Audi styling was very conservative, current styling is very extremely loud. And ugly.) And this would all be ok, if it weren’t for the presumptuous owners who keep them afloat.
I bought my S4 because it had more features than the 335xi. It has an adjustable diff, push-button adjustable suspension, a nav that actually works (unlike my BMW of the same vintage), and many other creature comforts that I love (B&O sound system, fantastic seats, etc). There simply is no Japanese counterpart to my car. Why? Because they build bread and butter cars for people to drive back and forth from Publix. There is no excitement. They are no bark, no bite.

Quote:
These people I despise the most, arrogantly parading around a brand whose crowning achievement is being almost as good as a BMW. This is very unlike Lexus, a brand that was unknown 30 years ago, is now a segment leader offering daring style, technological innovation, reliability and extreme quality, and doesn't settle for being "almost." It is. Sure, the A4 might be an ok car, but why would you buy one over a Lexus? Is it more luxurious than a Lexus ES, more sporty than an IS, does it offer a better balance than a 3 series? Probably not. Essentially, true quality, engineering and substance are overlooked in the name of “style.” The antiestablishment niche of these cars has essentially become the establishment, and if there ever was a brand that was the poster child of hipsters, Audi/VW would be the embodiment of it.
Which segments does Lexus lead? The BMW 3er has been the benchmark for decades. They, along with Audi and Mercedes, are the innovators. With innovation can come some level of lesser reliability, but that's a trade-off that many are willing to make. It's also how they stay ahead. You're not reaching for the future if you design an engine and leave it unchanged for 10+ years. That's how you get left in the dust...

The Lexus IS is one of my favorite car designs out there right now, but they've nixed the manual and carried over the same boring (yet surely reliable) engines from the last generation. Shouldn't a car that looks that radical and exciting have a drivetrain to match? Me thinks so. If they did so, I would put down my deposit today. Again... Lexus was almost there.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0