View Single Post
      12-23-2015, 06:52 AM   #61
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewnel22 View Post
What happens when someone else in oncoming traffic is texting and veers into your lane? I would be glad to have the car I'm driving do well in a situation like they are testing here. May save a lot of injuries and lives. Nothing wrong with that.

Distracted and drunk driving is still a huge issue though.
Late in responding. But this is exactly what happened to me years ago. I was driving in my 2006 Focus ZX3. I was ironically taking the car to the dealership to get some work done. The day or two days prior it had snowed. The roads were clear but there was significant snow banks on the side of the roads.

I was approaching an intersection which had a red light for both my direction of travel and the opposite side traffic. I was about 50 to 100 feet away and started to slow. Light turns green and the first car on the opposite side starts to move. About 2 seconds after the car moves, it has crossed the intersection but now is veering towards me crossing the double yellow. I start to slow and was wondering if this moron is going to realize they're not in their lane. The car keeps coming. I blow my horn and swerve to the right to try to avoid. I couldn't go too far over to the right as the snow bank was blocking my exit path. Just before the bang, the idiot driver looks up. You guessed it...staring at the damn cell phone. She was that close where I could see clearly what she was doing. She looks up startled and tries to swerve away. Too late. Bang. She hits the left front corner of my car. The impact throws the bumper cover of her car about 20 feet down the road. My car was crunched enough where I couldn't open the driver's side door. I had to climb out the passenger side. I was so pissed, I didn't even talk to her. I knew physically I had to put distance between her and me because I was going to physically hurt her...woman or not.

The end result of the crash. My front head light, left fender, bumper, strut, lower control arm, and wheel were all damaged. Strangely, I think the hood was unscathed and none of the air bags went off. I guestimate she and I were traveling about 30 MPH before hitting. But I was swerving and trying to decelerate at the same time. I walked away with no injuries. And the funny thing is my car was able to be fixed. The woman driver was cited by the police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I would avoid them because I'm paying attention. I'm former motorcycle rider for years and now a track junkie and take it as my responsibility to prevent accidents. Accidents take 2 people screwing up.
Things happen. Per the above, there was nothing I could have done to avoid it. Also, I'm a motorcycle rider too who not only rides on the street but also on the track. Yet this happened to me. So don't think this can't happen to you.
Appreciate 1