08-27-2023, 05:26 PM   #36
JiveTalker
Jive Talker Bristol
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 3.0 orion silver

Installation almost complete - :happyanim:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hejnfelt View Post
To try and be helpful, follow this guide to remove the HVAC panel and just be very careful of every step and you'll be fine.

Check out B21's build thread where he shows how to mount the Mr12Volt behind the HVAC panel. It's so much simpler than the glove box.

The USB cable - afaik - is for a thumb drive should you want to watch movies or something else on the unit.

On topic of the gear knob you have to yank on it straight up. It is retained with plastic clips that are quite tight (for good reason) but it comes off if you yank real hard on it upwards. Just make sure any wires are disconnected first
Almost everything is back together now and it has only taken 11 days! It got too dark to completely finish.

As I'd already followed Dave's instructions to remove the glovebox I decided to put the MMI box in there so it will be easy to access if I need to do an update. I hardly ever use the glovebox except for storing a few CDs. I will use Gorilla tape to stick the box to the roof of the glovebox to avoid wires getting disturbed.

I have a mystery in that I have a wire dangling down in the passenger footwell. I've no idea where it was supposed to connect and don't relish removing the glovebox again to try to figure out where it should go. It appears to be a light for the passenger foot well. Any ideas where that is supposed to plug in? Hopefully it will become apparent in daylight.

Everything is working well, except when I asked Google to open Spotify and play Bohemian Rhapsody it played Mamma Mia instead!

There was no need to remove the gear knob. All the panels came off fine with it still in place.

I played a couple of videos from a USB stick. It just plays them in alphabetical order. There is no selection option, you just have to skip until you find what you want. The manual claims it also displays JPG, BMP, GIF and PNG images but it just ignored them all. Maybe there is another option somewhere that I haven't spotted yet?
Appreciate 0