View Single Post
      02-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #97
silverstone_ttlz4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 35i

I just installed mine about an hour ago and, provided you follow the directions EXACTLY, then you could easily install this in under 30 minutes.

I think I made two mistakes that caused it to be more of a 45-60 minute job:

First, I have Comfort Access and turned the car on and started opening the top with the key not in the ignition. What happened then was that after I disconnected the stock harness, the navigation screen (flipped open and) displayed a message indicating there was a hardtop malfunction. In order to resolve that, I had to go back, uninstall everything, disconnect the SmartTop and then close the roof completely.

Secondly--if this even has anything to do with it--I was working on the car with the metal roof panels not laying on top of the windshield. Mine were sort of suspended in air when I first started working on the car. I'm not sure whether this has any effect, but it was a confounding variable in trying to figure out what went wrong.

Thirdly, after I figured out the key being by the car may be causing me trouble, I put it far away from the car. The problem is that after you install the SmartTop, you need to press the unlock (immediately?) in order to get it to begin working correctly.

So, for those of you with comfort access, insert the key + put the roof in the correct position+ turn off the car and remove the key. Then, once you've installed the SmartTop, quickly press the unlock button.
Appreciate 0