View Single Post
      03-20-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

I see BMW's reaction to the HPFP to be very interesting. My theory is the engine mounded pumps are failing due to something mechanically related to the way they are mounted on the engine. I'm suggesting that even though the pump itself is failing, it's actually a problem with the engine design itself.

What's the basis for this conclusion?

1. BMW does not manufacture the pumps - they are made by another company (the name escapes me right now), but they make pumps other manufactures as well, including Volkswagen and no doubt Porsche. So, if it was possible to do a simple redesign that would have happened long ago. Remember this N54 engine/HPFP problem has plagued the 3 series owners for some time as well.

2. It’s not uncommon for fuel pumps of this type to last 75,000 miles trouble free.

3. Some have speculated it's fuel additives but I reject that - fuel additives have been in our petrol for a long time, and, even BMW’s other HPFP don't have the problem (e.g., X6 50i).

4. As stated, HPFP are not new to BMW or other manufactures and the other pumps don't appear to be having this issue.

To sum it up: The HPFP design is not new and additives are not the issue. So, then the conclusion is that it’s a HPFP used in conjunction with the BMW N54 engine. If fixing the pump would resolve the issue, why hasn’t that happened, especially since it has to be costing BMW millions? The design of the engine must somehow be impacting the pump’s longevity. Maybe it’s the mounting location, or the design of the mounting surface on the engine block, or whatever.

BMW would have to go back to the drawing board and admit they made a mistake or that there is a design flaw in their award winning engine. Apparently, they’re not willing to do that, but rather allow owners to quietly suffer and placate them with an extended warranty. I think they would rather phase out the N54 so that over time the problem goes away. The problem is that at least one auto journalist (so far) has commented that the n54 is a better performance engine than its replacement, the single twin-scroll turbocharged N55.

Ask yourself these questions: if this problem has happened to you once or maybe twice when the car has less than 5,000 miles, would you be willing to take a long drive in it? Isn’t your use of the car and the enjoyment you derive from ownership and driving substantially diminished because of this problem? What does that say about paying such a high premium for a BMW – can the owner expect no satisfaction from BMW except a longer warranty (you know you’re going to finally give up and quietly sell the car)? What does this say about BMW the manufacture of the “Ultimate Driving Machine” and their “Joy” slogans? Isn’t it all really marketing hype?

I have to admit, for many years, I’ve been very cynical about big business, but those feelings have been tempered somewhat by the positive treatment some of the forum members have received from BMW. This problem is perplexing. Why would a company that gives a guy a replacement car because his original was damaged in transport turns their back on so many owners by simply giving them an extended warranty. The warranty is a placebo because people that have this problem experience HPFP failures sometimes 3 or 4 times.

What really puzzles me is why there hasn't been a recall or why one of the major magazines picked up on this issue. Clearly BMW is willing to let owners suffer with this issue, particularly since they don't get negative press except here.

To the OP, I would contact BMWNA and express your displeasure with the situation and demand some other resolution rather than the warranty extension.
Appreciate 0