03-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #56
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
You are right. A new Z4 35i is almost 900k RMB including tax. And I have yet to see another one in China. There are some 23i and 30i but not many.

Since the fuel prices here are similar to those in the US, I believe the reason people do not buy higher trims is prestige. If you can afford a luxury 135 you will get a base 320 instead... and so on.

Because then you say you drive a BMW something-higher-series and people will never ask if its a 520 or 535 for example. I am over-joyed when I spot a 1M, 335 or 760 for that matter. They are so rare. Oh and, 3-series coupes and 6-series coupes are extremely rare as well.

Its the same with the Z4. People will note that you drive a Z4 and they can't tell the difference between a 23i and 35i even if the price difference is 200k RMB. To me, this is a good thing, but to most Chinese, that is not a good thing.
Good analysis! It's interesting to see the cultural dynamics at play. I did see one 535i on the highway I think. But you are right, I did not see any 3-series coupes.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0