View Single Post
      03-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #54
Keeperlit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 840i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbelcher
What exactly does the TMC box do? Is it actually an engine remap, or does it intercept and manipulate the signals between the ECU and the engine/sensors 'live'?

My concern with the boxes is that if you have a major smash (or even an average one), its going to be pretty hard to hide that bright red box from the insurance company unless you can get into the car and rip it out before it's towed away (which would be hard if you're in an ambulance!). You can kiss goodbye to any cover from them if they find that and find yourself in a pretty sticky legal situation.

Is it possible to remap the engine 'natively' by reprogramming the ECU, or is that well locked down on the BMWs?
Totally agree with u, last thing you want to think about is a tuning box while you are in the back of an ambulance! Two choices, either inform your insurer or take a risk.

Tmc tuning boxes offer multi channel technology manipulating signals sent from the ecu to things like the boost pressure or camshaft position sensor so they act like a remap without the need to plug into the diagnostic port. Advantage is they do not leave a footprint on your cars ecu, whereas a remap will ie it will tell a bmw technition that it was accessed on a specific date therefore letting bmw know the car has been tampered with. This is not a problem if you are out of warranty but I would not remap a car still in warranty.

A tuning box will not leave a footprint and can be easily removed hence no warranty issues, but to counter that your insurer may not be happy.

My advice for what it's worth is get a price from your insurer if it works great, if not leave it be and enjoy the car as it is.

My car is a stock sdrive 20i and its plenty fun!!
Appreciate 0