03-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #14
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4RIDER View Post
For your review:
Here is a copy of the actual warranty from BMW.
Bottom line, among all the covered items for the Manual trans and DCT coverage is as follows:
Powertrain PLus- coverage for manual and DCT does not cover the clutch assemblies subject to wear.
GOLD covers the DCT for these items but not for manual trans.
I would go gold then or not at all. as far as I understand DCT clutch isn't a serviceable item so it is full gearbox replacement if there is an issue. it would defeat the purpose if you aren't covered in that situation...

@jparnes1 Not sure I would use Porsche motorsport as a proxy for BMW street car durability. If we owned Porsche with PDK maaaybe I would buy it but even for Porsche I think only the 911 turbo / gt3 / gt2 models have a drivetrain that is actually motorsports proven..

I am more concerned about BMW recent history with HPFP, waste gate rattle, N54 limp mode and the other laundry list of drivetrain concerns that owners of 35i fill up the internet with

OP, full disclosure... I'm not fully convinced these newer BMWs with tons of complex electronics and newer tech are going to age as well as the older ones with tried and true naturally aspirated engine / traditional manual gearbox so I leased my car... let someone else figure out the long term durability
Appreciate 0