View Single Post
      12-07-2016, 10:23 AM   #1
Bleen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW Z4 35i

Roof movement impaired

Thought I'd share the recent developments with my Z.

I got the car CPO back in February, with a few months of original warranty left. The first stop I made after picking up the car, the roof stopped mid way while putting it down. I pressed the button again and it worked. Thinking I was probably not holding the button down at some point, I didn't think much of it.

Except this happened around once or twice a month. One time it just got stuck and no matter what I did, would not open. I called a tow truck but by the time it was dispatched, it "fixed itself". Since the car was still under original warranty, I took it to the dealer. They looked at it for a few days, said they activated the roof a lot of times, and the problem never came up. So I took it back home.

Last Friday the roof got stuck while putting it up. "Roof movement impaired". I had to tow it to the dealer, who said after looking at it for two days, that the wiring harness needs to be replaced. Now, this would not be covered under CPO warranty (original warranty expired a couple of months ago), but since I had got it to them last time while I had the original warranty and I only put a couple thousand miles since then, they would cover it.

I have no idea how expensive this would have been, and I'm grateful for the dealer to cover it on their dime, but this is worrying... replacing the harness means taking a lot of stuff apart, plus the harness itself should be expensive. Worried about reliability in a 2012 car with under 25k miles...

I'll keep the thread updated, anyone that has had a similar problem, feel free to pitch in with their experiences.