View Single Post
      02-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #22
bmwfixr
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

I found this post after finishing mine, but I followed this post http://blog.bavauto.com/17160/bmw-di...ergency-brake/ which details all the aspects of reseting the emergency brake. It's a T45 bit for the piston extender and the hand turning is quite a few, the 12-15 turns described elsewhere seems about right. Mine were also somewhat resistant, taking some finger effort to make it turn. I did not bother turning them back out as suggested elsewhere after pushing the piston in.

As for disassembly, this is one tight area, and taking the 13mm bolts off and removing the caliper and then the mounting bracket is far far easier than the other way around. To Hujan, a breaker bar and a solid tug or mild tap from the hand was all that was needed to break those 16mm bolts loose. After a half turn, they could be turned out by hand. Getting the splash guard out to replace the brake pad sensor was a different experience. That 10mm nut above the junction box was quite troublesome, maybe because that was the last thing I did.

All in all, expect this job to take about 1 hour per wheel if it's your first time and you're methodical, or about 30 min per wheel if you know exactly what you're doing plus 15 or so min for the sensor.

The next time, I'd probably have the caliper guide boots replacements handy and new clips (Pagid pads didn't come with clips, so I reused them)