View Single Post
      06-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #22
jelmok
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35is

Well it's been nearly 3 months but I am happy to report my car is supposedly fixed

Got a call from the dealer yesterday, and they finally concluded it was the steering rack. They were initially stumped after changing the rack and finding the car was still not running right. On BMW's advice, they tried my car running on a donor set of wheels and tires, and the car ran fine. They then took off the new Continental tires that I had fitted and fitted back my old run flat tires onto my alloy wheels, and the problem was still gone. BMW got one of their technical managers involved, and he concluded that the original fault was caused by the steering rack, compounded by the new tires that had been fitted. After back to back testing with another 35is, they concluded that all was now well!

To be honest, I'm not that bothered that I can't use the new tires that I had paid for. In any case, BMW agreed to pay the cost of those tires, and also for the independent inspection that I had done. They are even paying for the lease payments for the period that the car has been offroad.

It's been a bumpy ride, but hopefully now I'll get to enjoy the car to the fullest. I must also say I have been impressed with the way BMW have handled this problem also.
Appreciate 0