View Single Post
      09-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
raven333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 3.0siM sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Raven why are not confident in what the I drive shows you regarding mileage left on your pads? Theres a sensor at the pad that measures thickness. I've always found it to be accurate in the BMWs I've owned. Pad lifespans are wholly determined by driving habits so you can't anticipate when your pads will be gone based on someone else's experience.
Hi! I am not judging directly another persons experience, but my own knowledge of brake wear. Previous to my Z4 I had a BMW 6 series with more or less the same technology managing the brakes, having done 80k miles I changed the pads (and disc's) on numerous occasions so one begins to understand how the brakes wear. Many times the wear indicator in the Idrive would say 35K for brake life, run it for 3month or so with X miles and it would come down to say 18k even though the mileage did not warrant the change.
(trying to keep it simple here). Cutting a long explanation short my rear brakes on balance have worn down very quickly, less than 2/3rds thickness!!!! Hope I am making sense!!!!
Appreciate 0