09-05-2010, 12:09 AM   #17
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
teagueAMX

Naturally with an open crack like this I expect the wheel to be sprang open at the crack therefore a dial reading starting from zero opposite the crack will show + some value at and near the crack. ...there are no impact marks from pothole damage etc, the wheel is clean smooth all around both sides on the outer diameter (spoke side and opposite spoke side).
The TIR reading will certainly help indicate the history of the rim. + Dial indicator nearing the crack will certainly indicate crack/fracture at that point and likely not related to impact bending at that location. However, (-) dial indicator reading elsewhere may indicate the rim took a hit at the (-) location and the fracture happened away from the point of impact. Be careful on assuming the 0 point being 180 deg opposite the crack. You may have to play around a little to find the true nominal diameter (0 location).

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0