View Single Post
      03-06-2017, 08:56 PM   #8
bmw>benz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
I, too, have heard of people happy with drop in replacements in 1 and 3 series HK sound systems with no additional amplification. Maybe I need to clarify a bit. What I am saying is that the premium audio option in the Z4 is not a Harmon Kardon or any other lower option system. The 8" subs behind the seats don't perform the same bass production that they usually do in the other BMW's you listed. They are practically inaudible in non-surround mode, and not much better in surround. The processing and equalization is not the same in this car as it is in the others. As I stated before, the bass (well, really, midbass) comes from the footwell speakers (those 6 inchers). Therefore, if you swap the ones behind the seats with upgrades, you won't get much, if anything, out of them because they are not sent signal the same way as in the other applications you listed. Swapping them out will not overcome the fact that the amp doesn't really use them. Does that make sense?
Thanks for the clarification. I did hookup a frequency generator to study this further. IIRC the 8" behind the seat are noticeable until about 60Hz at which point it seems the in dash 6" and footwell 6" join in.

As far as how the processing differentiates from other BMW's I will have to see.

Regardless. I have the SWS subwoofers and would like to put them in and see how it changes.

Does anyone know how to get to the subwoofers behind the seats?
Appreciate 0