03-03-2017, 08:34 AM   #5
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw>benz View Post
I checked real OEM.The subs behind the seats are 8 inch subs. The same 8 inch subs found in 3,4,5,6,7,x3,x5 and x6 for the past 10 years. IIRC the ones in the door are 6 inch.

This swap has been well documented on the e9xs and is good for more than 3 DBs with the stock amplifier. I have already done this swap on an x5 and 3 e92s with excellent results. Of course sound is all subjective but for my situation this solution fits the bill. I'm looking for something relatively stock and don't want to do anything in terms of amplification.
I, too, have heard of people happy with drop in replacements in 1 and 3 series HK sound systems with no additional amplification. Maybe I need to clarify a bit. What I am saying is that the premium audio option in the Z4 is not a Harmon Kardon or any other lower option system. The 8" subs behind the seats don't perform the same bass production that they usually do in the other BMW's you listed. They are practically inaudible in non-surround mode, and not much better in surround. The processing and equalization is not the same in this car as it is in the others. As I stated before, the bass (well, really, midbass) comes from the footwell speakers (those 6 inchers). Therefore, if you swap the ones behind the seats with upgrades, you won't get much, if anything, out of them because they are not sent signal the same way as in the other applications you listed. Swapping them out will not overcome the fact that the amp doesn't really use them. Does that make sense?
Appreciate 0